Almost Completely Normal

My son’s birth story was almost completely normal.  My pregnancy certainly was normal.  I worked steady throughout the pregnancy.  Of course I had normal pregnancy “symptoms”.  There was never any doubt that I could be pregnant.  I was lucky and virtually no morning sickness.  I did suffer from severe fatigue and some fairly heavy heartburn.  I gave up a few foods and took naps during my lunch hour.

As the pregnancy, progressed I did get really bad carpel tunnel syndrome.  Both my hands went numb.  I had to be careful to make sure I was on home row because I couldn’t feel those handy bumps on my keyboard.   I was able to hire a temp to train at work for my eventual maternity leave and started to slow myself down in preparation of things to come.

I remember it was a Monday.  I was so tired and achy I just slept in that day.  Work called and I decided that I was not going in that day.  I started to feel some heavy back pain and I fell asleep watching The Sting on TV.  I was in the hospital by that night.

The labor was long.  It seemed foggy then and it seems even foggier now.  There is little they can do for back labor.   I had two failed epidurals.  In short, I was failure to progress.  They had difficult monitoring my contractions.  After trying to push and doctor whose favorite statement was “just 2 more” followed by “just 2 more”, I was getting a C-section.

The C-section went normally except for one major problem  My spinal bloc was too high.   They had to intubate.  I just remember a doctor pleading with me to keep squeezing his hand and me replying, “I am”.   A mask fell over my face and I woke up in a recovery room.  The nurse looked down and said, “we didn’t expect you to be awake so soon” I was finally wheeled into my room and presented with my wonderful baby boy.  He was a healthy and average 7 lbs 8 oz.

The first year was dominated by breast feeding.  Its not so easy.  I was not one of those mothers who took to it easily.  I am not one of those mothers who remember it fondly.  I got through it.  I cried about it, I worried about it, I even saw a few specialist.  I made it through one year a little more.  E (lets just call my son E for all intensive purposes) lost interest in breast feeding once solids increased.

Nothing unusual.  E met all his milestones.  He wasn’t a very chatty child, but he did babble a bit.  He walked before he was one.  He pulled up very early.  By one year, I was actually starting to relax just a bit.  In the beginging, things were almost completely normal.


This entry was posted in Developmental Delay and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.